The tutorial below will provide step-by-step instructions on how to use the simple video editor in Kaltura to edit your uploaded videos. The simple video editor provides a way to trim off unwanted clips near the beginning/end of a video, split the video into multiple video clips, and add fade in/fade out effects. It is not meant to be an advanced video editor, and you are unable to add clips into the video.
1. Login to Moodle, click on My Media (on the left navigation bar).
2. Here you'll find all your recordings. Click the title of your recording or the recording's picture.
3. On the right, click the Actions button to open the drop-down menu, then click Launch Editor. (This section will allow you to trim, split, or edit your videos).
4. The Editor is made up of three different sections.
- The bottom is where your timeline is located.
- The right side is where the the media player is located.
- The Left side is where the details of your media are located, this section can be minimized with the open/close icon.
5. The timeline offers the following features:
- Undo/Redo Actions.
- Reset - Reset's the timeline to a previous saved state.
- Real time markers
-Set In/Out - Sets cue points on a timeline.
-Split - Cuts a segment at a selected point.
- Fade In/Out - Sets cue times to fade in and out at a specified segment.
- Delete - Cuts the selected segment.
- Zoom Marker - Enlarges the timeline display granularity.
- Handlebars - Snaps to a certain point on the video segment.
- Show/Hide Audio - Allows audio tracks to be shown or hidden on the timeline.
- Total amount of the video duration - Indicates the total time of the video.
How to Edit Media Recordings
6. Use the Trim Tool to remove parts of the beginning and end off the recording.
- To use the Trim Tool, click the right or left edge on the bottom timeline and drag the right/left handles to the desired beginning and end of the video.
- Click Save a Copy to save your changes and create a new copy of your video or Save to overwrite changes to existing copy (Changes are not made unless you click save).
- Use the Undo/Redo action buttons above the timeline to reverse any mistakes.
- Split will allow you to cut out a section of the recording. To use it, click the first side of a section you would like to cut on the timeline, then click the scissors icon. Next, click the other side of the section you would like to remove, then click the scissors again. Now click the Delete (garbage can) button to remove this segment.
7. Click Save or Save a copy when finished.
Video tutorials by Kaltura on how to use the video editor and to trim/clip media.
How to launch the Kaltura video editor?
How to Trim or Clip Media?
This work by Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.