A webcam recording is recording made from your computer's internal or external camera. Webcam recordings provide an easy alternative to record yourself speaking directly to your viewers. Webcam recordings are useful for introductions, brief video messages, weekly updates, tutorials, etc.
You can make a webcam recording directly from your My Media page. You will need the following for this project:
- Kaltura Capture installed on your computer
- A webcam (internal or external on your computer)
- A microphone (to record your voice)
Once you have made your recording, you can upload it to your My Media library and embed it anywhere with the Moodle text editor.
- Open Kaltura Capture.
- First, login to Moodle. Expand the left side navigation menu, click on My Media.
- In the My Media window, click on Add New and then Kaltura Capture.
- If Kaltura Capture is installed, it will launch automatically. Otherwise, on your computer.
- Select Camera & Audio in the Kaltura Capture Recorder. Then, start recording.
- In the Kaltura Capture recorder, the Camera icon and Audio icon should be blue, showing it is enabled.
- Click Start Recording (the Red Circle icon) when you are ready to record.
- Tip: You should see an image on the camera as preview, if the camera is working properly.
- A 3-second countdown timer will indicate when recording will begin. To ensure that nothing is cut from the beginning or end, it is a good a idea to wait an extra few seconds before you begin speaking.
- Click Stop Recording to finish recording.
- Click the square icon to stop recording. It will prompt you to save the recording, click on Yes, Stop it.
- Next to the stop button is the pause button. You can use the pause button to temporarily pause the video without stopping record. (Shortcut: CTRL/CMD+SHIFT+R)
- Click the X to cancel and start again.
- Name and save your recording.
- Give your recording a title in the Title field.
- Optionally, you may add a description and tags. (This will help make your videos searchable in your My Media library later.)
- Click Save & Upload will upload your recording to My Media and it will also save in the Kaltura Capture library that lives on your computer.
- Clicking Save will save it only in the Kaltura Capture library on your computer where you can upload later to My Media.
- NOTE: Clicking Delete will remove it from your computer. It will not go into your Recycle Bin and can't be retrieved. Make sure you have either uploaded it to My Media before deleting.
How to view your recording in My Media
After uploading, go back to your Moodle site, click on My Media. (You may need to click on the refresh icon to see your recently uploaded video.)
This work by Kwantlen Polytechnic University (KPU) is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.